Getting your Motor Carrier Authority started.

Learn more about getting out on the road.


Our commercial trucking insurance brokers will get the right policy and the best price for you in FL--Florida - GA--Georgia IA--Iowa - IN--Indiana - KS--Kansas - MD--Maryland - NE--Nebraska - NC--North Carolina - NJ--New Jersey - OH--Ohio - PA--Pennsylvania - SC--South Carolina - VA--Virginia.
Use our commercial trucking insurance brokers to help you get the right policy and the best price.

The first step in getting your business started is getting your own operating authority, which is granted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA).

The process of getting your MC, Motor Carrier Authority:

The number is issued instantly. However, this is only your MC Number. You DO NOT have your authority to operate until you have met the remaining FMCSA requirements. See below:

  1. Your MC number is issued by the FMCSA.
  2. Your MC number must be published in the FMCSA register – this takes 2-4 days pending the workload of the FMCSA.
  3. The publishing of your MC number starts the 14 day protest period. Nothing happens during these ten days.
  4. You must file your insurance (done by your insurance company) and your BOC-3 (we do that) to activate your authority.
  5. When the protest period ends and all filings have been made, your final authority is granted by the FMCSA. If everything happens in a timely manner, especially putting the insurance in place, the authority process usually takes 3-4 weeks.

Click here to check the status of your Motor Carrier Authority (MC#):

  1. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Continue
  2. Top-right corner of page, select Carrier Search from drop-down menu
  3. Input your MC- Motor Carrier Number, click search and then click the HTML button